Would you benefit from guidance, support and challenge with your celebrant work?
The Celebrant School offers professional supervision to all celebrants and related professionals, such as funeral directors. The purpose of supervision sessions is to improve the professional performance of the supervisee. Sessions occur either face-to-face, via Skype or by phone.
What is Professional Supervision?
Professional supervision creates a relationship between you as a celebrant (supervisee) and the supervisor, allowing you to reflect on your work, explore issues and practise new ways of doing things.
You lead the process, which might include:
- Finding yourself in unfamiliar ceremonial situations
- New experiences for which you have not yet developed responses
- Clients who are particularly challenging, due to grief, trauma or historical family difficulties
- Sharing your experience of a particular ceremony (the good, the bad and the ugly!)
- Rehearsing for a tough job (e.g. an infant funeral)
- Other issues that feel relevant to you as the supervisee
Together you and the supervisor set the agenda for the session and establish a process to enable this.
What’s the Role of the Supervisor?
A competent supervisor asks questions that encourage reflection and learning. Feedback and support is clear and focussed. Confidentiality is paramount, and the Supervisor creates an environment where it’s safe for you to share private information and emotions.
What are the Benefits of Supervision?
Debriefing with a competent supervisor enables you to:
- Maintain your own personal and professional well-being
- Find alternative ways of responding to novel situations
- Identify knowledge or skills you’d like to develop
Our Celebrant School Supervisors are Winnie Duggan (based in Wellington) and Kerry-Ann Stanton (based in Auckland).
Both are available for sessions by Skype or telephone if you are based elsewhere.
based in Wellington
Winnie is passionate about supervision and professional improvement, having been a supervisor for 28 years, both in her counselling world and more recently, in relation to celebrancy. She has a Certificate in Clinical Supervision and has completed courses in Therapeutic and Advanced Supervision. Winnie loves providing supervision and counselling in private practice as well as teaching and mentoring students at The Celebrant School. She considers the supervision she receives as an essential tool in her working life. supporting her to be the best celebrant and supervisor that she can be!
based in Auckland
Kerry-Ann has worked as a Celebrant since 1998 and been a key lecturer with The Celebrant School since 2013. She is also a trained ontological coach and dance guide.
In 2015, Kerry-Ann was awarded the Visionary Celebrant Award by CANZ. It is this mix of extensive practice as a celebrant and professional coaching skills that Kerry-Ann brings to supervision, with a strong focus on reflective practice and commitment to learning.
Terms & Conditions for supervision
A clear contract will be agreed and signed at the first session, outlining the expectations of both parties, including payment details.
- $92 incl. GST ($80+GST) per one hour session
- Payment is by invoice, in advance via online banking (or as mutually agreed)
- Our professional supervisors are practising funeral celebrants and reserve the right to change the session date/time with a minimum of 24 hours notice
- Supervisees may cancel or change a session time up to 24 hours prior without incurring a charge. Full payment will be required for sessions for which no cancellation or change has been agreed in writing with the supervisor.
- A complaint process is outlined in the contract. In the first instance, please discuss your concern with your supervisor.
- Supervisees may be occasionally invited to give feedback via Survey Monkey, as part of The Celebrant School quality management process. All feedback is anonymous unless you wish to identify yourself in the process. Such feedback may be used for marketing purposes, and will be anonymous except by specific agreement.
The Celebrant School Supervisors adhere to the CANZ Code of Ethics which can be viewed here: https://www.celebrantsassociation.co.nz/code-of-ethics-professional-standards/
For further information about professional supervision, please email email@example.com or phone Kathrine Fraser, Director of The Celebrant School on 096232399.